Sunday, October 9, 2011

I'm About to Get All Emotional and Shit

If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you're probably aware that nothing I say should be taken seriously. I write horrible things that will undoubtedly give me a front-row seat in hell, mainly because my parents didn't love me enough, and I'm constantly seeking attention from strangers (which explains the weird taint-rash I can't seem to shake.)

Anywho, I want you all to know that I mean everything I'm about to say for once.

In the past couple of weeks, I have gotten a lot of love from people in the blogosphere, and I just wanted to take a moment away from talking about balls to tell all you guys how thankful I am.

I started this blog after a particularly hellacious day serving coffee, and I never expected for anyone besides my co-workers to read it. I wrote a couple posts about a customer that reminded me a Slingblade, and for the most part, forgot about it.

Then my college graduation loomed, and I began to get the sinking feeling that my journalism degree would go unused. It's not that I didn't enjoy being a journalist, but it just didn't feel right. I had come from a creative-writing/performance background and only majored in journalism, because I felt it would have a more concrete endpoint. Too bad I didn't know that endpoint would involve a string of internships that had me jabbing myself in the hand with a pencil to stay awake. I wanted freedom to write whatever I wanted, so I came back to my long-lost blog and started to write.

That was about three months, and I never expected to have readers. I never expected to have accolades from  people who make me laugh so hard I'm afraid I might pee on myself. I never expected to post a picture of Roberto Arango's asshole. But unexpected things happen, and I'm here.

I know I'm not huge (not even close), and as many people have told me I'm more likely to be a vagrant on the street sauteing pigeons over a trashcan fire, than to make a living from being a blogger. But to be honest, none of that matters, because I'm in love with writing again, and I have every person who has ever viewed this blog to thank for that.

So I just want to let everyone know, that I appreciate you all more than words can say.

Alright,  enough of that, I'm going to go put some calamine lotion on my weird taint-rash, and I'll be back to talk about closet-case politicos on Tuesday.

19 comments:

Tara said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, and we sound like we're pretty similar! I love reading the humorous things that you post on here...sometimes it's the one thing that can make me laugh out loud after a shitty day. You're a great writer, and, even if you don't use that journalism degree in the traditional sense, your writing is always going to be a powerful tool in your life.

Demburds said...

I studied creative writing and I have a creative background too. I'm at the same point you are, as I have to decide whether or not to take up this cadetship at a newspaper (which I think I want to do).
I enjoy reading this blog and you are a fantastic writer. If it's one thing I enjoy about blogging, it's the key to get you writing again (even if it's not seriously).
Keep on bloggin!

Kissowa said...

Way to leave us with a cliffhanger there!

Bonnie said...

Girls don't have a taint do they????.....lol

I thought that was a guy thing

Mike Caines said...

Thank YOU for giving us funny stories and a way to brighten up our days for a few minutes!

Unknown said...

The best thing for a taint rash is to let it breathe. Spend a day bent over with your cheeks spread, just letting it recover.

Oh, and thank me later.

...where do you live again? This is internet gold...

Congrats on the warm and fuzzies from the blog! I love reading your shit, so keep it up!

Shaneiferd said...

"I just wanted to take a moment away from talking about balls to tell all you guys how thankful I am."

Ha!

But in all seriousness, your blog is one of my favorites. You have a wicked-sharp sense of humor, but at the same time your posts are also mixed with serious messages. I love humor. I also appreciate it so much more when the author balances the laughs with the right amount of realism.

If this blog is what made you fall back in love with writing then it just goes to show that words are very powerful. You keep writing; we'll keep reading.

~SP

Kayleigh said...

Your pretty great. You make me giggle a lot.

Luda said...

Add me to the group of English/Creative Writing students who needed an outlet beyond press releases and e-mail blasts.

Blogging's fun. I'm glad you're writing because you're funny.

Liz Taylor said...

I am so in love with your blog that is stalkerish!!!!!!!

Jason said...

That is so cool...glad you like us (me) reading your stuff. I kinda feel the same way...have had more interaction here latley on mine...makes you feel good. I'll stay here as long as you let me...love reading what you have to say.

A Morning Grouch said...

Your blog is pretty hilarious. Good luck with the taint-rash.

Anonymous said...

Hey lady, from one creative writer/performer to another, ya gotta do what ya love, and I love that you have found such enjoyment and solace in writing through this blog. I'm kind of amazed myself at the way this community continually surprises and supports me. So you keep doin' whatcha do, and we will keep laughing and occasionally make grossed-out faces alongside you. :-D Cheers, lady.

Miss Lego said...

He he he girl! you are really somethimg but it's good to know you are being sincered. I feel it, even if you say we shouldn't take you seriously here, but trust me, you have a gift and you shall continue writing. I am a journalist as well and I am not using that diploma for anything. Enjoy life!

camerabanger said...

It seems that you like to write. That is a good reason to write. It is great if people read what you write but if they don't you still have to write. For many years I have given over a part of each day to writing and a small part of that goes out (in a blog) to whoever wants it. Sometimes no one does but that doesn't make me stop. Seems like you are equally blessed. Enjoy.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Sorry to be late to the party here, but we love you too. You make us laugh our asses off every time we read. We'll enjoy your company in hell:)

Unknown said...

Ms. Barista
Your blog is insanely awesome!
I just chose reading you over an amazing trance party last night ... yes, the ultimate compliment I can give.
You totally rock!
xx

Gabs said...

Obviously everyone fucking adores your blog, you funny betch. You're one of the few I follow religiously. P.S. Gimme your address, I need to send you some of my love potion a.k.a delicious cough syrup. Also sending you some face paint so you can start simba-ing people in your area. Remember, we decided it was going to be the new planking.

Allie said...

I love you all!

Like seriously, if any of you need a kidney or some clean urine... I'm your girl.